About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sometimes life gets in the way.....

Dear Friends,

This blog entry is unrelated to weight loss but it is a major happening in my life that effects my ability to get in shape as well as every other aspect of my life.

Rich and I just received news yesterday that our 3yr old Golden Retriever, Lexi probably has terminal cancer. We are still in shock and trying to process this awful turn of events. I was just going through pictures of her today when she was a puppy and I swear, it seems like yesterday. She is such a dear, sweet dog and she loves us dearly and we love her right back. I've had pets throughout my life but never really "owned" my own dog. She is just like one of my kids and I can barely stand the thought of losing her.

We took her to the vet cause she hasn't been eating her food and has been sort of lethargic. We thought it was repercussions of eating a dead rabbit two weeks ago. They just happened to see an abnormality on lungs on the x-rays of her abdomen so they decided to do full chest x-rays. The vet showed us the films and we couldn't believe it. There were masses all throughout her lungs. He said there was a possibility that it could be a very bad fungal infection but we got the impression that isn't very likely. He did send blood out to test for it though. He said if it is cancer there is nothing they can do. Wow. Rich made a very true statement when he said we always know eventually you'll lose your pet (since we generally out live them), we just were not expecting this to happen so soon.

This was also bad timing because today is my daughter's 17th birthday so I did my best to try to make the day special for her while dealing with this news. I think I (and her dad) did a fairly good job of that. I'm hoping so anyway.

It was a beautiful day today and I was off work, and kept wanting to go for a walk with Lexi, but she wasn't there. She was at the vets overnight last night and didn't come home untill tonight. I could have gone by myself but it didn't seem right. Sigh. We are going to make the very best of the time we have left with her.

Take care of the ones you love (even your animals), you never know how much time you'll have with them.

Until next time,

Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that about your dog. I had a cat who had cancer and truly understand how you are feeling. She hung on about 5 months after being diagnosed and I enjoyed every minute of the time I had with her. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete