About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Getting into the "swing" of things!

Hello friends,

I am tired and sore tonight, but that's a good thing. I tried my first Zumba class tonight. A friend at work told me about a FREE class at Lorain Community College. It's on Monday nights, some sort of fundraiser so they accept donations. It was very...uh, interesting to say the least!

I got there after the class had started and it was in a section of a big gym. The first thing I noticed was blaring Latin American music. Some skinny woman with short hair was in the front of the room shaking her tushy like 80 miles an hour and there were about 30 or so woman and 1 guy trying desperately to copy her moves. I found my friend in the back (where I had instructed her to meet me) and tried to "blend" in. The music made me feel like I had stumbled into some night club in Cabo San Lucas but after a few minutes I began to realize no one was going to come around with a tray full of margaritas and tequila shooters (much to my dismay).

Every other exercise/aerobic class I have ever been to started out with the instructor explaining the type of class, going over some basic moves and then working us in slowly. Not so here. After a little while, I gave up trying to copy the crazy woman and simply started flailing my arms and legs around really fast to get my heart rate up. I guess it worked because I did sweat like the dickens. At one point, we were literally supposed to jiggle our butts, not sure what the was supposed to accomplish exactly, but I went along. Wow. You've heard of "Buns of Steel", I am fairly certain I have buns of unleavened dough. I even asked my girl friend if she knew of any store that carried butt bras.

Don't get me wrong, it was actually pretty fun, in an embarrassing painful sort of way. It was only one class. I'm sure I will get the hang of it. The main thing is, I was out there, working out! That can't be a bad thing!

Stay tuned....

Mary Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment