About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Do what works!

First of all, I want to thank those of you (all four so far, I believe!) who are reading/following my blog! I hope it is at least mildly entertaining and at best helpful to you on your weight loss journey. As for me, it is so fulfilling to get my thoughts out there and to share with you my struggles and successes. If you enjoy reading my blog and know of other you think will enjoy it to, please pass the link on!

Yesterday I tried a new workout. It is so easy to get stuck in a workout rut and do the same thing over and over. For a long time I was doing 30 min on the treadmill and 20-25 on the elliptical. I was losing weight, but eventually, my body got so used to using the same muscles groups. It is so important to change up your routine and to continue challenging different muscle groups. You have to understand, I am extremely picky when it comes to my workouts. If I use a DVD, I either love it or hate it and know within the first 5 minutes. If I go to a class, I either love the instructor or I don't and if it's the latter, will not go back. The point is, you have to try different things to find what's right for YOU!

So, yesterday I tried our new 10lb medicine ball w/instructional DVD. I had never used a medicine ball before and thought I'd give it a shot. It was a fairly decent upper body workout. My arms and shoulders are definitely sore today (I commented to Rich this morning that I felt like I had been lifting a 10lb ball, tee, hee). I wish it had done more for my core like the DVD claimed it was supposed to but I'm thinking it will take more practice with it to develop the proper form. It lasted about 45 min. and I felt like I need more, so I did 20 minutes on the elliptical to finish off. Then, I did some stretching. VERY important to stretch those muscles after a workout! The only thing I did not like about the DVD, and in fact, found very annoying was the background music, if you can call it that. It was basically the same 4 beats played over and over. I started laughing when my kids came down and started doing "beat box" noises to it and they messed me up!!

So, here is Mary Lou's Daily Tip #3:

Tip #3: Vary your workouts to avoid boredom and to challenge different muscle groups. Find what works for YOU. Everyone is different. Don't be afraid to try different things, step out of your comfort zone. If you don't like it, at least you tried. If you do, hey! You found a new way to exercise!

Above all, like the Nike ads say, "Just Do It"!!

Yours in Health,

Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. If you do the same thing all the time you will get sick of it and then you don't stick with it. Now all you need is a video of your kids' accompaniment to your DVD! :o)

    ReplyDelete