About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Small changes can make a big difference!

Day #3

It is sunny and warm out today. Rich and I took the dog (golden retriever named, Lexi) for her daily afternoon walk and her tongue was hanging out and she was panting heavily. Fortunately, I don't have all that fur covering my body so I was enjoying the warmth from the sun. It is much too nice to work out in the basement so I'm thinking about dusting off my bike and going for a ride. I used to be a big bike rider, but over the years, like so many things, that fell by the wayside. Biking is great exercise and a great way to enjoy the outdoors. I am going to make a concerted effort to do it more. It would help if I can talk Rich into doing it with me so it is something we can enjoy together. I think he has a dilapidated 10 speed around here somewhere.

I've decided to try to get as much activity as I can each day. For example, on the days I work, I like to just eat a quick lunch and then take a brisk walk around the beautiful walking trail on the grounds of the hospital. I am lucky we have that feature. Even doing things like shooting hoops with my son or jumping on the trampoline, or running around the yard with my dog. Anything to get the body moving and the blood pumping, plus it's fun!!

One thing that made a huge difference for me in my weight loss is cutting back my portions. I am grateful for Rich for making meals so often, however, he would portion out the same amount for both of us. And I, of course would eat however much was put in front of me. Now, it doesn't take a genius to figure out a 5'1'' woman does not need the same quantity of food as a 5'10" man. As soon as I cut back my portion sizes (almost in half) I noticed it was easier for me to lose weight. I have heard one trick is to use smaller plates so it tricks you into thinking you're eating more. I don't really have to do that, but it may be helpful to others.

That brings me to Mary Lou's daily weight loss tip:

Tip #2: Instead of eating three large meals a day, eat 5-6 smaller ones. You should never go more than 3 hours between eating something. A typical day for me (when I'm being "good"), is a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit in the morning, a small snack before lunch (like yogurt or protein bar), a salad with some sort of lean meat (chicken or tuna) for lunch, an afternoon snack like a piece of string cheese and some almonds (protein is good because you stay full longer) and a healthy dinner. This does two things: it keeps your metabolism going at a steady rate all day and also will keep you from getting too hungry and over eating. If I know I'm going to be out running around all day, I'll pack a protein bar or a banana in my purse to tied me over until my next meal. And don't forget to drink your water! (see Tip #1).

I'm going to try my best to get a workout in tonight since it's too nice and sunny out to be in the basement. Gonna plant some flowers instead!

Wow, it's 2pm already, I'd better get going!

Yours in health,

Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me about the 6 small meals. It will keep me from getting lightheaded or too hungry. I got my walk in today just before the rain came!

    ReplyDelete