About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fighting the daily battle with fatigue and losing.

Okay, I'm struggling here. If you've been following my previous blogs, I should be giving you the impression that I have at least somewhat of an idea of how to lose weight and get in shape. My personal knowledge is based on my own personal experience over years of gaining and losing weight, as well as tons of reading materials in books and magazines on the subject. I know in my head what works for me. However, it is one thing to know what works, and a completely other thing to actually be able to do it! Ha! No shit Sherlock! Why do you think millions of other people are in the same boat? Why do you think the diet and weight loss industry is a BILLION dollar industry? Because it's NOT EASY!! Most people want the easy way out. Take this pill. Wear this rubber thing around your waist. Eat this shake. Look at our sexy, skinny model and put your face on her body. You get the picture. Think about it: if weight loss was easy, the diet industry would go out of business in a matter of days. Think about the Biggest Loser show. Those people looked like they were nearly KILLING themselves in the gym! Look what they had to go through to get where they are.

So here's my dilemma, and I'm asking for advice.

I work 4 days per week/8 hrs a day in a hospital lab. My work day usually starts at 6am. I usually get 4.5 to 5 hours of sleep per night on the days I work (not nearly enough, I know). My job is very hectic and much of the time stressful. By the time my shift is over, I am BEAT! Sometimes, I try to catch an afternoon nap. Other times, I'm running around with my kids (three of them, ages 11, 13, & 16). Every day is different. This week I work Mon-Thurs. Every day this week, I have felt tired, head achy, and just blah. There is absolutely no motivation nor energy to workout.

I have been doing fairly well with my eating plan. I usually do great all day until about late afternoon, when I'm starving and I tend to eat a little more than I should, although I'm still not eating junk (or very little).

However, I know I NEED to workout for an hour per day 4-5 days per week to make any progress. If I only work out on the days I'm off, that leaves 3 days per week. Not enough. So, what do I do about exercise on the days that I work?

Since January, I have only lost about 4 pounds. I need to lose 20lbs. So far, I'm not getting the job done. I am not happy with my appearance and don't want to use my job as an excuse. But it is what it is. For one, I know I need to get more sleep at night. However, I am a night owl and my brain and body don't start to wind down until after 11pm. I have been struggling with this since I started this job 3 years ago. All I know is, my current strategy isn't working and I need to step it up but how?

No weight loss tip today, I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Let me know if anyone has any great ideas for me!

Thank you!!

Yours in Health,

Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. I applaud that you are staying on the healthy eating path! That's always one of the hardest things to do. I know when I was a retail assistant manager I had this problem because of the crazy schedule. You would think with being on your feet all day and climbing up and down ladders to rearrange the store set that would count as exercise...but I never lost any weight while I worked there! I hope someone has good advice for you on this, because I know a lot of people have to deal with these kinds of work schedules. Hang in there! :o)

    ReplyDelete