About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Hitting the proverbial brick wall!

Good Morning friends!

I'm at a loss here. For the past few weeks, I've been doling out all of this great (well, perhaps good), weight loss advice hoping I sound like I actually know what the heck I'm talking about. These are things I've learned along the way, and what has worked for me in the past. Here's the thing: I've been doing what has worked for me in the past, but for some unknown reason that's driving me nuts, it's NOT working! At least not yet anyway. When I first started getting serious about losing this weight (when I was at my highest weight ever at 158 lbs last summer), I started eating better and working out. I was only working out 2-3 times per week but it was enough to lose on average 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week. Not a lot but it was steady and consistent. Eventually, I was able to lose 18 lbs. I am still 20 to 25 lbs away from my goal weight of 115-120lbs.

So, for the past few weeks, I've been working out 3-4 times per week and trying to eat really well. I actually GAINED two pounds the end of May and have not been able to take those off, much less LOSE any more weight! What gives???? The only thing I can think of, is that I eat too little during the day, then at dinner time, I eat a little more to make up for it, and my body is in starvation mode and turns any and all extra calories right to fat to make up for the deprivation. Also, since I've been doing more strength training, it's possible I'm gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. Whatever the explanation, it is extremely frustrating. Maybe you have experienced similar problems.

Here is what I am NOT going to do: give up! Not a chance. I am going to keep pushing myself and do my best each day to stay on my program. I know eventually, my body will give in and start burning those fat cells despite it's current resolve to hang on to them!

This brings me to my current weight loss tip:

Try not to get discouraged if you don't see the results you are looking for right away! You didn't get heavy overnight and your not going to lose the weight overnight. Sometimes, it takes your body awhile to adjust to new patterns of eating and exercising. Do not give up! If you fall off track one day, resolve to do better the next day. Keep your goals in sight. It also helps to set short term as well as long term goals and to change them if needed.

Yours in Health,

Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Do not give up...it is worth it to keep going. You will do it!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete