About Me

My photo
I try to get the most out of life. I think of myself as happy and upbeat and I love to make people laugh. I laugh at myself, a lot. I am engaged to be married to my best friend and soulmate. That sounds cliche, but it's true. I have three wonderful kids, two cats and a golden retriever who is like another kid. I have two stepkids whom one day I hope will come to accept me as a person who loves their dad very very much.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Great workout today!

Hello friends,

I have to give myself a little pat on the back today. I was off work and had my daughter's 8th grade commencement/award ceremony in the afternoon. I got up around 9:00am, got into my workout clothes right away and went right down to the basement to workout. Since I did some strength training/conditioning yesterday, I decided to go all cardio today. I usually try to push myself as hard as possible during my workouts to maximize my efforts. Today after warming up with a fast walk on the treadmill for 4 minutes, I decided to jog at 5.5 mph for 2 miles without stopping. There was a time when I could run for 45 minutes and do 3.5 to 4 miles but I am quite away off from that time and distance right now. The 2 miles was tough but I did it. I did a total of 2.4 miles in 30 minutes. Not a record by any stretch, but I certainly worked up a good sweat. After a little bit of stretching, I jumped on the elliptical and did 25 minutes on variable resistance. That was tough, worked up a major sweat and it felt great!

I probably sweated off another quart or so in Lee Burneson Middle School gym during the ceremony! Man was it hot and stuffy! And long! After my workout, I had a banana/strawberry smoothie. That's all I had to eat until 3pm. I was starved and grabbed a banana, granola bar, and slice of cheese before the next activity. For dinner, I made my "gourmet" burgers, with watermelon on the side.

All in all, a good day. It's going to take a long string of "good days" to see progress but I'm up for it!

Healthy tip of the day:

Get enough sleep and try to minimize stress. Both are important for your body to fight sickness and recover from exercise. I believe most people do not understand the importance of getting 7-8 hours of sleep. I have lived with sleep deprivation and it is awful. You can't treat yourself well if you are tired and fatigued. Stress is also detrimental to good health. Find ways to relax and to avoid stressful situations. Short of jumping on a plane and flying to a tropical island which is what I'd love to do!

Until next time,

Yours in Health,

Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. Great job Mary Lou! You bounced back after a rough patch...and that shows a lot of strength and determination. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete